The global Covid-19 pandemic will define 2020 as the year the world locked down. But a vision of a different world also became – momentarily - a reality: traffic-free roads and skies, falling emissions, clean air, remote working, localised shopping, a heightened sense of community spirit and togetherness, a greater appreciation of nature, and a general slowing down and opportunity for reflection.
In this period of reflection, most people agreed that they didn’t want things to return to ‘normal’ when we re-emerged from lockdown. That this was a once-in-a-lifetime chance to chart a course for a kinder, more equitable, greener future. And to rapidly accelerate the decarbonisation of the planet.
The 2020 Climate Change + Business Conference will explore the extent to which businesses, policy-makers, and civil society have seized the opportunity to transform our future. Among other things, it will consider:
- the flow of Government funding toward recovery projects and international recovery trends;
- the impact of recent policy and legislative changes;
- perspectives from the Climate Change Commission and revised climate science projections;
- impacts on the price of carbon and carbon markets;
- sectoral issues and opportunities;
- local government climate action planning, from mitigation policies and projects to adaptation priorities and strategies, and how local authorities are collaborating with the business community to drive implementation;
- the unique challenges and opportunities that projected climate change impacts, and the adaptation scenarios they will require, present for iwi/hapū/whanau, Māori youth and enterprise and how these are being met; and
- our broader adaptation preparedness.
The need to build on the urgency and momentum for rapid and substantial decarbonisation remains.
Covid-19 has given us an opportunity - an obligation - to transform our future. Will we act with the level of ambition and hope that the climate crisis requires of us, and future generations deserve from us?
Register NOW to attend in person or by livestream.