LG Accelerated Leadership is the development programme for those in local government wanting to excel in their leadership role. It is part of SOLGM's LGLeadershipPathways.
This programme, developed in association with the Capability Group (capabilitygroup.co.nz) is for those in a people leadership role in local government including those leading project teams. It is highly interactive, practical, and designed to allow participants to discuss and debate the qualities and behaviours of great leaders, including how to be an authentic leader, make a difference in their role, and deliver results for their councils. Participants can expect to have access to highly relevant local government sector expertise, including Chief Executives who will be invited to participate as guest speakers and discuss ‘leadership in practice’ as it applies to each topic. It is also expected that participants come willing to discuss issues and challenges they face under Chatham House Rule.
The programme has five face-to-face workshops, delivered over a five month period. There is a gap between each workshop where participants are able to implement some of the key learnings in their workplace with the support of their line manager. Participants form groups to meet up between the workshops to reflect on their own personal journey and discuss what it takes to be a great leader.
Participants can, with a small amount of additional work over and above that already in the programme, apply for the New Zealand Certificate in Business (First Line Management) (Level 4) through the Skills Organisation.
For participants wanting to gain the qualification it is really straightforward:
> Complete all the exercises during the prepare phase, workshops and apply phase of the programme (keeping evidence of the completed exercises for audit purposes).
> Complete the additional open book assessment supplied by SOLGM.
> Complete the attestation form also supplied by SOLGM and send both the completed attestation form, signed by their manager, and the completed open book assessment to Tony McKenna - firstname.lastname@example.org, Business partner, Local Government at the Skills Organisation.
Current and Upcoming Programmes:
The 2018 dates and locations for Southland/Otago, Manawatu/Taranaki and Christchurch are able to be viewed SOLGM's Event Calendar.
- Please contact our Administrator, Professional Development, Samantha Morris if you are interested in taking part in the next scheduled programme or if you'd like to discuss arranging one in your region - email@example.com
Participants will benefit from this programme if:
- They hold a people leadership role (manager/team leader) in a local government organisation
- They are open to building new skills and ways of working with their staff
- They have the support of their CEO
On completion of the programme, participants will be able to:
- Define their role as a leader and the difference they can make in the organisation
- Build effective working relationships with diverse individuals and groups
- Establish strong, collaborative relationships with peers from local government organisations in their region
- Motivate, delegate and coach to drive improved performance
- Create a customer focused team culture
- Influence others to gain support for ideas and solutions
- Plan for their continuing development as a leader
The programme runs over a 5 month period dealing with five practical and relevant topics. The overall objective of the programme is to provide people leaders with the skills and knowledge to engage others and deliver on organisation results and outcomes.
The gap between each face-to-face workshop allows participants to implement some of the key learnings in their workplace with the support of their line manager. There is also an expectation that participants will meet with fellow participants between the workshops to reflect on their learning and coach each other on implementing new skills and tools.
Module 1: A leadership mindset
Module 2: Engaging hearts and minds
| || |
Module 3: Relationships, influence and collaboration
Module 4: Customer driven culture
Module 5: Driving change
For more information about joining this Programme, or running one in your region, please contact our Administrator, Professional Development, Samantha Morris at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone SOLGM on 04 978 1273