We are a strong advocate for our members, and for the local government sector. We regularly provide input on central and local government policy in the form of feedback on reviews and submissions to select committees. We also provide day-to-day policy advice to members when required, and publish a member-only Quarterly Briefing.
Our recent advocacy work relates to:
- Infrastructure Funding and Financing Bill Submission (lodged on 5 March). The Transport Committee continues to meet. Raymond presented to the Transport and Infrastructure Select Committee on 16 April. It was live streamed and can be viewed on Facebook. Raymond appears about 51 minutes in.
- Taumata Arowai – the Water Services Regulator Bill (lodged 4 March). Raymond and Karen presented to the Health Select Committee on 11 March. We support a regulatory body, and most of the submission was to raise concerns that the Bill does not make sufficient provision for the perspectives of the industry in the regulator's governance and engagement perspectives. We anticipate this will be one of the top priorities when Parliament resumes on 28 April.
- Inquiry into Local Elections (submission in progress for lodging on or before 4 March)
- Urban Development Bill Submission (lodged 14 February). Raymond presented to the Environment Select Committee on 19 March. It was live streamed and can be viewed on Facebook. Raymond appears around 10 minutes in.
- Fire & Emergency NZ Funding Review (lodged 31 January).
- Public Service Legislation Bill (lodged 31 January).
- Productivity Commission Inquiry into Funding and Financing This is likely to take a backseat for the next few months. We will make the point that there is still a pressing need for significant investment in infrastructure, and that such investment has a benefit as a support to the economy in the present, and in future capacity.
- Local Government (Rating of Whenua Māori) Amendment Bill (lodged 17 April). The SOLGM Executive Board has approved our submission on the Rating of Whenua Māori Amendment Bill. We
are generally supportive of the Bill’s intent though we consider some
of the proposed solutions need some further refinement.
- Covid-19 Response (Further Management Measures) Amendment Bill. Submission lodged.
- Building (Building Products and Methods, Modular Components, and Other Matters) Amendment Bill (lodged 10 July)
- Building for Climate Change Submission (lodged on 16 October 2020). The Ministry for Business, Innovation and Employment consulted on reducing emissions from buildings during their construction and operation, while also preparing buildings to withstand changes in the climate.
- Deaths, funerals, burial and cremation submission (lodged on 30 October 2020). The Ministry of Health consulted on a review of the Burial and Cremation Act 1964. The consultation document set out a range of options for modernising the legislation about death certification, regulation of funeral directors, burial and cemetery management, cremations and new methods of body disposal.
Contact Raymond Horan if you have any questions or would like to provide input into future submissions.